Friday 26 July 2013

A series that surprises.@sarahcass @secretcravings #newrelease

Surprise! 5 Ways My Novel Series Shocked the Heck Out of Me.

I love a good surprise.

The unexpected flowers from my husband for no reason at all.

A visit from someone I thought I wouldn’t see for a while.

Hubby bringing home my beloved fountain pop for me when I didn’t even have to ask him to is a top-notch surprise.

An amazing story twist that I never once expected in a million years? Nothing makes me happier.

My Dominion Falls series was full of surprises for me. In more ways than I dare to count – but today I’m going to narrow down five, if I can.

  1. It’s a series!  This was planned as a short(ish) story. Not that I had any idea what I was doing when I first thought of Cole, then the amnesiac Jane…but I expected one book. Not three – certainly not the 2-3 follow up ‘later in life’ books.
  2. Gilbert Hamm “Hammy”.  He was a throw-away bit part in book 3. That’s all. When rewrites came, Hammy became a regular part of the scene, and there’s no one better. I adore that man and his purple gloves.
  3. The huge twist/event at the end of book 2.  It’s huge. It wasn’t in the plans, but sometime mid-first draft, my mind seized on it and after tons of research I realized it could totally happen, and had. Every time I wrote/edited it, I ended up in tears. It’s just awesome.
  4. The secondaries.  I’ve always liked secondary characters, sometimes way more than the main characters – whether in books or on-stage. The secondary characters in this series just built up and got bigger and took on these amazing lives and personalities where I have people asking me for stories just about them.
  5. Jane never regains her memory.  So often you see stories with amnesiacs and things go right and their memory comes back and their love comes back. That doesn’t happen with Jane.  She never becomes “Clara Young” again. She never remembers that life. She becomes exceptionally comfortable with people from that life, but she never remembers.


The Dominion Falls has been a fun ride for me, surprises and all.  I always dreamed it would see the page in print, and now it has.  I still have people asking me for book 3 and what happens next (soon – September!)…and growing to love that little town the same way I do. 

I can’t wait to see how the later books in the series surprise me…neither can I wait to see how the new series I’m working on will surprise me. 

Writing is the adventure. :D

Along the way I’ve had several people surprised by events that happen in the novel.  The “Did that just happen?” questions come in. I’ve also gotten lots of comments on my “atypical” romance in both story and characters.

Do you like it when a novel surprises you? Or do you like more typical stories? (Nothing wrong with either, I like them both depending on my mood).

*~*



Derailed (Dominion Falls Book 2)

Blurb:
The sins of a past she can’t remember could destroy a present she’ll never forget.
The crimes of her forgotten past threaten the very life Jane Doe has learned to cherish.

Jane is out of time. With a warrant on her head, a maniac out for her blood, and a secret baby on the way, something has to give.

Without Cole Mitchell's help to find the answers, there may be no hope left.

Cole has nowhere left to hide. He unwittingly let Jane into his heart, and is ready to share the secret of his dark past.

Fate has a way of playing its hand, and tragedy strikes. With the world crumbling around them, it's easy to lose faith. If they can't forgive past sins, they have no hope for the future.

Because the noose waits for no man or woman.
 
Buy Links:
Secret Cravings Website -  http://bit.ly/12J4bO9
Amazon -  http://amzn.to/1ahJIu4
Barnes & Noble -  http://bit.ly/1bkEnQw
All Romance Ebooks -  http://bit.ly/170laAc
Bookstrand – http://bit.ly/1diptbG
Goodreads - http://bit.ly/14UlKhj



BIO:

Sarah Cass’s world is regularly turned upside down by her three special-needs kids and loving mate, so she breaks genre barriers, dabbling in horror, straight fiction, and urban fantasy. An ADD tendency leaves her with a variety of interests that include singing, dancing, crafting, cooking, and being a photographer. She fights through the struggles of the day, knowing the battles are her crucible and though she may emerge scarred, she’s also stronger. While busy creating worlds and characters as real to her as her own family, she leads an active online life with her blog, Redefining Perfect, which gives a real and sometimes raw glimpses into her life and art.



Where to find me:
Redefining Perfect – http://redefiningperfect.com
Sarah’s StoryLines – http://authorsarahcass.com

Excerpt:

“Miss Jane.” Boards clattered to the floor to help announce Hammy’s arrival. He pulled off his hat and slipped his fingers along the brim. “I brung some scrap wood like you asked. Got my men headin’ over to help.”
It was impossible not to smile at the man. Jane found him endearing despite his regular drunken state. Except on very rough days he was never anything but polite, and the man never seemed to have a rough day. “Thank you very much, Mr. Hamm. Did Cora give you a list?”
“Sure thing, Miss Jane. Right here. Said the tables ain’t gonna get in for three days. Lent four tables to you until then.” The paper trembled when he handed it out, and he slipped his hat back on. “Guess four is better than nothin’.”
“It is. That will give us five. Unless you can help.” Jane squeezed his hand, her smile straining her cheeks when he blushed. “Do you think you can make tables and chairs out of some of your scrap wood?”
“Aw, gee. We can sure try. Don’t know how fast, though.” Hammy stuffed his hands in his pockets. “There’s an awful lot ya want doin’.”
“Well, Mr. Hamm, look at it this way. The sooner we get it done, the sooner the saloon can open and you can get your beer.”
That perked him up. A grin formed. “True. Guess I best get on it. Will you be stayin’ here?”
“I would, but I need to go see Graham at the jail. Then I need to help Reverend Greene with his deliveries.” Jane kissed his cheek. “We’re low on beer, but I told Cuddy that you got priority. Your beer is on the house at least until Cole gets back.”

“Weren’t necessary, but I’m much obliged.” He tipped his hat again and shuffled his feet. “I best get on it so’s the saloon can open.”

No comments:

Post a Comment